In 1712, the Parish of Pembroke was established with the formation of the First Parish Church, now in the center of Pembroke. The land had been Northwest Duxbury and included what is now known as Hanson. At that time, the land including Hanson was still wilderness. Josiah Winslow had purchased a large piece of land from the Indian Sachem Josiah Wampatuck in 1662, but few families had moved into the area.
Between 1712 and 1746, many families moved into the area, but still had to travel to Pembroke Center to go for Sunday meetings, for many a distance of over six miles. They met in 1746 and petitioned the Governor of the Province of Massachusetts to form their own Parish and Meetinghouse. This was approved and the present site, one of the highest elevations in the area, was chosen for the church building. In the next two years, they build a crude barn-like building and hired their first pastor, the Rev. Gad Hitchcock. The first official meeting was held on August 31, 1748 and was called the Second Parish of West Pembroke. In 1750, they purchased a pewter Communion set from England. In 1803 they built a steeple and purchased a bell. Additions and improvements were made to the building through the years.
The Parish continued to grow and in 1820, the Town of Hanson was incorporated. The church then became the First Parish Church of Hanson. By 1836, the congregation had outgrown the building and decided to build a whole new Meetinghouse. The present building was dedicated on December 14, 1836. On November 18, 1913, the church was incorporated and the name changed to the First Congregational Church in Hanson.
From the beginning, the Congregation has been a driving force within the community, a beacon of faith and dedication to others in the Name of Jesus. Members have helped others in disasters and good days, wars and peace, sickness and in health. They have tried to be a beacon of hope for themselves and others, spreading the Good News of God. That driving force continues today.
In 2015, the congregation called their 36th pastor, the Rev. Dr. Peter Smith. The building is being enlarged to provide more Sunday School classrooms and meeting rooms. Members and friends gather for worship, study, and socials as they have done since 1746, at the same site called The little white church on a hilltop crest with ancient pews and a spire.